Thursday, October 21, 2010

Smokey the Bear

Christopher came home from kindergarten wearing a Smokey the Bear 'hat.'
M: 'So you learned about Smokey the Bear? Only you can...'
(he looks at me funny)
M: 'Only you can prevent forest fires. That's what I learned about when I was in school.'
C: 'Do you know the story of Smokey the Bear?'
M: 'I think so. Why don't you tell me about it.'
C: 'A long time ago, in 1985 there was a fire.'
M: 'oh, 1985. That's when I was 1!'
C: 'Oh, nevermind, I mean a really long time ago before people were here. When it was just Jesus.'
M: 'oh, ok'
C: 'So there was this really really big fire and the firemen found a bear. They brought him to a zoo because he was too big for their house. They called him Smokey because is was all smokey where they found him.'
M: 'But if it was just Jesus and no other people, where did the firemen come from?'
C: 'Uhhhh, it happened in a different place. like on an island or something.'
M: 'like yellowstone?'
C: 'by the smelly guys!'