Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Beginning of March (first stiches....from child #5)

 We ran a ton of errands one day.  The kids thought it was fun that they got suckers at 2/4 places we stopped. (Those were the quickest stops, and I probably could have left them in the car for 30 seconds, but I just don't think its smart/safe to do.)

 Playing at a friends house.  Makayla LOVES playing with Maddie and I love hanging out with her mom, so it works out well ;)
 I bought a case of strawberries & Matthew got into them before I could put them away.  He took 1 bite out of 4 of them before I noticed...why not just finish the strawberry?

 Matthew is our first child to get stitches from an injury (not surgery).  Joseph had just bit his cheek, so we were looking at it/being sympathetic to him.  Matthew started spinning around & bonked his head on the bricks by the fire place.  Head wounds really do bleed a ton!  I had Rob go get a towel & I just sat there holding him, watching all the blood pour out.  Once I had a towel, I applied pressure with it and realized I should have applied pressure with my hand...it was certainly bloody enough as is.  Matthew, Joseph, and Michael were all crying.  Makayla was just watching the spectacle.  Christopher looked like he was going into shock...so we sent him to get a neighbor to watch the kids.  We figured I'd need to hold the towel on his head in the car ride.  By the time Rob & I had changed out of our bloodied clothes & our neighbor was here, the bleeding had stopped.  I wanted both of us to still go, even though he would have been just fine with just Rob.  Joseph was sad that he didn't get to go, when Matthew did, but our neighbor said he was fine & everyone went to bed well for her.                  The Dr at the Urgent care said if he couldn't hold still, he'd have to go to the ER & be sedated.  (He told us before we paid our copay, so if we wanted to head to the ER we could.) We decided to take the chance.  They used a numbing gel that took about 15 minutes & worked great.  He didn't like being held down (or the white sterile paper on his face), but Rob (who was holding his head) said he didn't struggle at all.  One pack of fruit snacks, 2 stitches, and a book from the nurse later and we were on our way.
 To get the boys to hold still still for a picture, I told them to fold there arms.  They said to keep a bandaid & ointment they gave us on it for 48 hrs.  Of course we went through several bandaids cuz Matthew kept pulling it off.  Joseph needed a bandaid too "Me!"  So here they are with matching bandaids.

 Makayla wanted her hair like Belle.
 Again, both twins with bandaids.  Matthew is concerned & telling me about something Joseph is up to.
 Makayla is emptying the dishwasher with her Elsa braid.  Since I do it (almost) everyday, as requested, I'm getting better at it.
 We went with friends on a walk to the neighborhood duck pond & saw the swan.  Sad that there is only 1/4 left.


 After the initial 48 hrs, they said no bandaid.  Rob took the stitches out.  He said it was really easy & Matthew didn't cry, he held really still. (I was erked that he did that, since he has NO medical training, and it was close to Matthews eyes, but alls well that ends well, right?)

Makayla and Joseph are sharing "the car" and Matthew is riding Christopher's longboard.

No comments: