Thursday, July 21, 2011

Our 20 hr drive to OKC

Our drive to OKC started out great. Christopher has traveled great his whole life so we weren't worried about him, but we were worried about Michael. He's not as easy-going as Christopher. Michael's only road trip was our trip to Oregon when he was 6 months old. For that trip we had to stop every 3 hrs for me to nurse him, but he did ok considering his age. For this trip I was very excited to realize that since we were traveling at night & during his nap, he might only be awake for 5 hrs of the trip (broken up into 3 different time slots, right?!) Here he is sleeping, with his bear. He was like this for the first 3 hrs of the trip.
Christopher was very excited for the trip & we listened to his favorite song- Dynomite 6 times.
We were surprised at how green it was in Utah- all the rain is paying off. Oklahoma is a different story-no rain & 1 month straight of over 100 degrees.
I thought of a fun activity for the boys to do in the car: make fruit loop necklaces. Christopher loved making the necklace, but didn't enjoy eating it. Michael didn't want to make a necklace, but enjoyed eating the fruit loops.

And lest you think the trip went well, 7 hrs into the trip (near Vail) Michael threw up everything he ate. By the time we exited he & his car seat were soaked. Luckily it was contained to just him and his car seat. Rob cleaned up Michael while I attacked his car seat. I wiped it up best I could but 3 hrs later he woke up screaming in the middle of the night for seemingly no reason. Luckily a rest stop was right there, so we exited. (Christopher slept through this midnight scream/pullover.) His clothes were soaked from the carseat. Instead of emptying the trunk, I put his apron & Christopher's blanket on him. lol...pretty white trash everytime we stopped. We put paper towels & a plastic bag on his car seat to keep the wetness away from him. We pulled over twice for Rob to rest his eyes, one time to sleep for an hour & 1/2 (w/Michael sleeping on me), and the other time for 15 mins, him fast asleep in his car seat. He slept fine after that, but when he woke up he was done being in the car, so the last 2 hrs of the trip wasn't fun. He wanted nothing to do with our portable dvd player- he just wanted to be out of his car seat. I'm not looking forward to the ride home.

1 comment:

Caleb and Jessica Sainsbury said...

I'm so sorry you had to deal with throw-up in addition to a long car ride. I really hope your trip back goes much better!