Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Rob's achilles tendon

 On Monday, December 14th, 2 of Rob's coworkers drove him (and his car) home just after lunch.  Rob was playing basketball at work with them and tore his achilles tendon.  He said it felt like someone took a hatchet to his leg and turned around to see who kicked him.  No one was there, so he realized what happened.  He was in alot of pain the first 24 hours.  Tuesday he saw a orthopedic surgeon, who scheduled surgery for the next day, after a MRI confirmed what we all knew.  The pain was better Tuesday and he got a walking boot, which made walking possible.  Surgery went well.  His tendon was so badly shredded, it took a long time to stitch back together.  A friend watched the kids for a couple hours while I picked him up (loopy coming out of anesthesia), and my visiting teachers brought us dinner.  It took a long time for his leg to be no longer numb...several days.  He was worried that there was nerve damage.  Once he had feeling, it hurt sooo bad for 24 hrs.  He didn't take his pain meds for very many days.  And he stressed me out by trying to do more than just lay there, reading to the kids.
I was excited for the hard cast 2 weeks later.  He had already slipped on the ice once or twice in the splint (he wasn't suppose to be outside), so I knew this would protect him more.  A co-worker that lived a couple miles away picked him up & took him to work.  (He took all of Christmas break off, then went back when he had his cast.)  Rob hopped down stairs while I carried his crutches & got some funny remarks from some freshmen girls at a BYU basketball game.  A few weeks later he got his cast off & was in a walking boot.  He started physical therapy & got the walking boot off 2 months earlier than we thought!  These days he's walking almost at a normal speed, with only a hint of a limp.  It'll be another 6-9 months before he can run and jump again though.  This was hard for us to go through, but the timing was perfect.  Christmas break, he was planning on taking off anyways.  I was feeling my best pregnancy wise (morning sickness was done & I wasn't having 3rd trimester bigness/pains yet).  The only bad thing was the twins decided their favorite game was to destroy the house...dump out every toy and book multiple times a day.

1 comment:

Elder & Sister Loftus said...

So glad to hear that Rob is healing well.
I guess the next game for the twins is to learn the "Clean up' song?